Every dish that we use goes into the sink or dishwasher for cleaning, what about a water bottle? How dangerous is mold in your bottle of water?
You bring your bottle of water with you every day. It’s with you when you go to work or when you go to the gym. However, how often do you clean it?
Often reusable water bottles are in a grey area when it comes to things that need to be washed. We say to ourselves “It’s only water” and we might go for a long period of time reusing that water bottle without cleaning it.
If you’re a coffee lover, you might be wondering if mold can build up from your coffee filter as well, and the answer is yes! Reusable or permanent coffee filters can trap mold and bacteria in addition to a film that alters the taste of your coffee. Using the best filter coffee machine can avoid this, some of these filters are dishwasher safe but cleaning by hand is recommended so that you know for sure that every nook and cranny is clean.
What Happens if You Drink Moldy Water?
Black mold is a type of fungus which is a class of microorganisms that are neither animal nor plant. There are more than 100 0000 unique types of mold and some are harmless while others are toxic.
What are the Symptoms of Drinking Moldy Water?
Drinking moldy water happens all the time. Luckily, swallowing a few sips of moldy water won’t do too much damage thanks to our stomach acid which is strong enough to kill pathogens in moldy water.
Some might notice cramps, nausea, or even diarrhea but most people have no symptoms. However, if you don’t have a strong immune system and you are suffering from health issues, moldy water can make things worse for you.
How Do I Get Rid of Black Mold in My Water?
There are some amazing tips on cleanersofterwater.com on the benefits of always using clean water. However, if there is limited access to clean water, keeping the bottle clean is the best and quickest care. Some colored or patterned water bottles can make it difficult to see the inside of the bottle to know if you should wash it or not. If you only knew what could be dwelling in that reusable water bottle…
To prevent mold spores in your bottle of water, we recommend cleaning the bottle after every couple of uses. If you can clean it daily, that would be the best solution. This is a good practice to have even without seeing visible mold because invisible mold should be your concern as well.
How to clean your bottle of water?
Make sure you scrub it inside. Fill the sink with hot water and some dish soap. Leave it for some time and then use a bottle brush to reach all parts of the bottle. Make sure you rinse the bottle with hot water before drying it.
You can also use vinegar. Studies have shown that white vinegar can kill 82% of mold spores. If you add a mixture of white vinegar and water to a bottle and leave it overnight, that will do the job. Rinse a bottle thoroughly to ensure you get rid of the white vinegar taste.
If you have metal water bottles that will require special attention. To clean it properly use boiled water. This will help you get rid of the odor or mold growing in the bottle. Let it sit for several hours or even overnight, wash it inside thoroughly.
Consistency is what matters here. We recommend cleaning your water bottle after each use. Yes, it’s more frequent than you would think, but that will keep you safe.
Can you Get Sick from Moldy Water?
Black mold is one of the most toxic mold species. It can be greenish or black in color and it’s usually accompanied by odor or a musty look with the smell of dirt. Usually, mold grows best in the dark, the type of environment your water bottle provides. Even though in most cases individual mold bits are too small to be seen with the naked eye but if mold grows in one place for a while, it becomes visible. Meaning, after time you spot mold, there were already some bits and pieces of mold spores present.
Still, before you panic, there is a good chance that mold growing in a reusable bottle of water is not harmful, but are you willing to take your chances? It won’t take too much work to keep your bottle from growing black mold. All you have to do is clean it on a regular basis.
Each time you use a molded water bottle, you introduce bacteria to your mouthpiece. You can transfer viruses through your mouthpiece. Keep in mind that microscopic pests thrive very well in wet environments, so cleaning water bottles will help prevent this.
Have you heard of Moon Water? Check out our latest article to find out more.