Making New Year’s Resolutions to Better Yourself Artistically
Every year, millions of people make New Year’s resolutions to better themselves. They express the desire to change or improve or focus on an aspect of life that is different from what one has done in the past. One needs to alter the day-to-day habits to achieve a long-term goal with these resolutions. Typically, they deal with physical and mental well-being. While those are great things to work on, why not consider making resolutions that pertain to one’s artistic well-being?
New Year’s Resolutions are an empowering way to think about improving one’s future, and the future contains so much potential. For those of you out there who find art, fashion, decor, design, and any other type of creativity to be an important part of your life, consider making a New Year’s resolution relating to that. Committing to finding the beauty in life (which is one way to view art), is something that can affect mental and physical well-being, but ultimately is a way that people interested in art tend to live.
Priorities and Resolutions
You might be asking yourself, “How exactly does art impact my mental and physical well-being?” Well, there have been psychological and neurological studies that show when people are viewing as well as making art, stress levels naturally decrease, neural connectivity increased, and brain areas that play a role in pleasure and reward experiences are activated. When our brains are unhealthy, our bodies are unhealthy as well. Keeping mental health in check also keeps our physical bodies in check, too. Creating the goal to incorporate facets of creativity in our lives does more thank show how knowledgeable we are with artwork and style trends.
There are so many ways to work towards goals and so many possible goals to have. It can be hard to think about what a priority is and what is not, but that is something that certainly can be worked out and accommodated. Coming up with a resolution requires identifying the areas that you want to grow in. For those interested in fine art and design, the goals would be different than someone more focused on style and interior decor. But what are some ways of pushing oneself to be better creatively? Keeping with the breakdown of fine art and design versus style and decor, here are some ideas for each:
Art & Design
- Building up artwork – Create art more often. Whatever kind of medium is your favorite, do it! And yes, crafts are a type of art.
- Art skills – Whether you want to learn a new type of art, or simply want to improve your mastery of a skill you already have, skills can only be formed with practice.
- Art knowledge and appreciation – Going to museums, galleries, and other art exhibitions are great ways to build up exposure to the art world.
Style & Decor
- Keeping up with fashion trends – Reading fashion magazines and blogs is one way to boost your inner fashionista.
- Staying in style with interior design trends – Interior design information can also be found through magazines and blogs, but also television. There are several shows about decorating houses and such.
- Decorating for holidays – Not everyone makes time to add little lives of holiday cheer around their home, but doing so makes home a little cozier when the season comes along. Buying or making a few things to decorate for each holiday that you celebrate can go a long way.
According to Business Insider, 80% of people do not stick to their New Year’s Resolutions. How can we change this? When you make a resolution, you are identifying a facet of life that you feel could be better. By acknowledging and not changing it, it is like being cold but not closing the window that is letting cold air in. You know what the issue is, but you are not doing anything to fix it. So when making a resolution, make a plan about how to stick to it. Write down how to go about fulfilling the resolution and remind yourself every day.